A balanced and healthy diet is the pillars of a healthy body.
Each nutrient and mineral must be consumed in the right quantity and at the right time in order to avoid any kind of diseases and infections to occur. Carbohydrates are the major source of energy to our body, and cutting out carbs will significantly affect the body weight and mass of an individual. Taking out carbs from your diet plan can lower down your BMR which might lead to fat gain instead of weight loss.
If you are a vegetarian then you need to have a good intake of vegetarian sources of protein such as milk, yogurt, broccoli, cauliflower, grains, seeds, nuts, fruits and vegetables in your diet. Whereas, the non-vegetarian Indians require lean meats sources like eggs, pork, fish, chicken breast etc.
List of Low Carb Indian Food
Here is a list of food items which have very fewer amounts of carbs, say 10 to 15 grams that work out to be 40 to 60 calories in a single serving.
- Dairy Products: Raita, Curds, paneer, milk etc.
- Nuts: Almonds and Peanuts
- Fruits: Black raspberry, strawberries, watermelon, blueberry, peaches, avocado, apple and many more.
- Vegetables: Mushrooms, Cauliflower, pumpkin, ladyfinger, broccoli, beetroot, carrots, French beans, cabbage, bottle gourd, bitter gourd, zucchini, brinjal, cucumber, capsicum etc.
- Grains: Sprouts, lettuce, and sprouted moong
- Others: Coconut oil, coconut water, and coconut butter
Things to Consider Before having Low Carb Indian Food
Before starting with your low carb Indian food diet plan, you need to know some healthy tips that will help you to keep your body stay fit and healthier.
- Try to reduce the intake of all kinds of sugar-based liquids such as flavored milk, fruit juices, soft drinks, sodas, and many more.
- Your low carb diet meal must include whole grain products and brown rice along with some fruits and vegetables for enhancing your stability.
- One must learn to spread their calories throughout the day in order to curb their hunger. You can plan around 4 to 6 meals and divide your calories accordingly rather than just sticking to the 3 meals diet plan a day.
- For non-vegetarians, it is very crucial to stick to fish, eggs, soya products, curd, and lean meat in order to have enough of the protein in your body that can act as the energy supplement in the absence of carbohydrates. Not only this, dairy products and nuts offer the most of fats to our body.
- A recent study has found that drinking half litres of water before 30 minutes of your meal can help you lose 45% of your weight within 12 weeks.
- Try to have some multivitamin supplements in order to fulfill the micronutrient requirements in your body.
- Also, try to perform some kind of light physical activity such as walking, jogging, stretching, skipping, twisting, yoga, etc. in order to tone up your shape.
- Do not forget to get your diet plan checked form your health practitioner before following it and make sure that you have taken 8 hours of your beauty sleep.
Advantages of Low Carb Indian Food
- The key benefit of following a low carb Indian diet is that you need not to get indulged in intense workout and muscle-strength training. Just practice some basic beginner’s level aerobic exercises and you are good to go for your health and fitness goals.
- This can help you to prepare a disciplined diet plan avoiding the intake of all the unhealthy junk foods such as pasta, bread, noodles, pizzas etc.
- Sticking your diet to low carb Indian food will enable you many health benefits such as stress free and relaxed mind, low body weight, less chances of high blood pressure and diabetes etc.
- Low carbs can reduce the production of insulin from pancreas which will in turn lower down the fat storage in our body. Our blood sugar levels also get neutralized by having low carb Indian food.
Disadvantages of Low Carb Indian food
- One of the side effect of having a low carb Indian food is that there is high possibility of having a lower levels of micronutrients in your body which might create nutrient deficiency that can hamper your well-being.
- Teenagers, pregnant women and elderly above 50 years of age are more likely to face health problems such as anaemia, nausea, acidity, fatigue, metabolic imbalance and loss of muscle mass.
- Low carb Indian food are not meant for everyone. Some people have an allergy to some food items while some had to do a lot of intense workout like athletes etc. Thus, do visit a dietician or health expert before getting this kind of diet.
- If you are doubtful about counting your calories or sticking to the diet, then low carb Indian foods are not meant for you. So, make sure that you make your mind and be determined to stick to your diet plan.
Low Carb Indian Food Diet
Given below is a list of some food that you can have as per your meal time during the day.
Low Carb Indian Breakfast
Morning is the time for healthy eating and the refreshing start of the day. A healthy morning breakfast can keep you energized and hydrated throughout the day. Also, it is quite difficult for working individuals to focus on what to eat just after they wake up. So, try to avoid having fried and canned food items. Try to eat some eggs or smoothies for a relaxing start of the day.
Also, Spring onion, Tomato Salad, Sprouts, Sprouts Pancake or Dhokla for a quick, simple and vegetarian start. Furthermore, Sprouts are a rich source of nutrients and have huge amounts of protein, calcium, iron etc. In case of non-vegetarians, you can add eggs to your breakfast and try protein based ideas such as fluffy white masala omelette or boiled eggs.
Low Carb Indian Lunch
Protein is regarded as the store house of our body. One must have enough protein food items in case he/she is cutting out carbs from their diet. Almond Bhakri is a gluten free low carb high protein dish.
Apart from this, Coconut Flour Pancakes, Jowar Roti, Fried Brown rice are some healthy food choices. Also, you can try Grilled Pumpkin, Mixed Vegetable Soup, Grilled Zucchini and Beetroot & Garlic Salad as light lunch substitutes to salads.
Low Carb Indian Food Snacks
Cravings before the dinner are natural. Therefore, try out some healthy snacks in order to please your tummy and taste buds. Try Oats Tikki, Grilled Cauliflower or Mushrooms for a quick snack. Alternatively, you can go for some fruits based salads like mixed sprouts veggie salad or mint and watermelon salad.
Low Crab Indian Dinner
Dinners should be light as your body has to go through the whole digestion and absorption while you sleep and spicy masala dishes can cause constipation and acidity. Try out some nourishing soup such as Broccoli broth along with spinach stuffed mushrooms. Not only this, you can have cabbage carrot and lettuce salad or barley soup. These are a rich source of antioxidants which makes your body stronger. Stir fries are the best when you have nothing in your mind. Enjoy eating Mushrooms and Broccoli stir fry and Bean sprouts stir fry in order to aid your digestion.
Low Carb Indian Salads
Salads are the healthiest way to toss up some fruits, vegetables, seeds and nuts into your stomach. You can either make it simple like a cabbage salad or toss some other veggies into it like carrot, lettuce and cabbage salad. Try to avoid creamy and cheesy dressing instead choose melon dressing, mustard dressing, avocado dressing, mint and honey dressing, parsley honey dressing and many more. Moreover, a daily intake of one bowl of salad is a rich source of fiber and helps in digestion and improves muscle performance.
Low Carb Indian Food Juices and Smoothies
Smoothies and Juices are a crucial part of our diet. You ned to avoid sugar in any juice or smoothie in order to qualify as a nutritious food drink. Not only this, you can try spinach juice, muskmelon and orange juice or apple juice which are a good source of vitamin C and D and have anti-inflammatory properties that can reduce the chances of causing cancer.
Smoothies might be creamy in taste but are healthy for our body. Green Apple Smoothie, Avocado Vegan Smoothie, blueberry and papaya smoothie, peach yogurt smoothie, guava smoothie etc. are quite good for pre and post-workout food. Not only this, but Saffron Cardamom Almond Milk is also quite common in Indian households.
Some Final Words
Thus, the above-mentioned food items and healthy dietary tips can surely help you to lose weight and have a healthy, fit, and strong physique. Also, it is necessary that you eat appropriate amounts of nutrients and do not get indulged in the intake of high-fat junk foods. Low carb Indian food diet must be followed only after consulting a trained medical health practitioner.