Whenever you and I look into the mirror, first what we look at is our body.
Not the face, not the color of skin but you look at yourself as a whole.
Your attention is mostly on the shape of the body, how your body looks.
Everyone’s body shape is different. Some are hourglass, the inverted triangular, the rectangle, and the diamond-shaped.
No matter which category you fall into, you want to look perfect at every time. There is no gold standard body shape when you are an internally, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally healthy person. What matters then is to make sure that you have a perfectly healthy weight.
Yes, any shape of the body is just an external appearance.
But what is most important and good for you is a healthy weight. There are different methods to check whether your current weight is correct or not. You just need to check it and then start improving it.
I have mentioned a few techniques here to get an idea about your ideal body weight.
- Determine your BMI– What is BMI? BMI means your Body Mass Index. It is a sort of calculation as the body mass divided by the square of the body height and is universally expressed in units of kg/m². There are certain cut-offs for our Asian populations. <18.5 for underweight, 18.5-22.9 for normal-weight, 23.0-27.5 for overweight, and >27.5 for obese women.
- Weight to Height Ratio– Calculate your weight in kg and height in centimeter. Minus 100 from your height in centimeters. The answer that you get should be your Ideal Body Weight. This technique is not the best standard but if you are a beginner who wants to change his/her lifestyle from worst to best then you can use this formula to know in which category you are falling.
Once you get to know about your Ideal Body Weight you get started with lots of plans in mind to become slim and trim.
Then the time comes when you start some programs to lose your weight. It is very much important for you to know that no one particular strategy will give benefits to all.
Everyone’s body shape is different, everyone’s body will react differently. So even if you and your friend look similar, your weight and height are similar then also your body internally is unique.
As I mentioned your body will react differently to different programs so you must keep focusing on losing your weight in a healthy way.
Here are some dieting tips to shed off those extra kgs:
- Mindful Eating– First and the most important thing to lose and sustain your weight is to eat your food mindfully. Mindful eating is an awareness and appreciation that nourishes your body and soul. Mindful eating, what does that actually mean? It means maintaining the awareness about what you are eating at the moment, it could be any food or drink. You must observe it rather than judging it, observe how a particular food makes you feel, and signals your body sends about taste, smell, satisfaction, and fullness.
- Shift to smaller plates– Whenever you take a big plate you end up picking more portions of food, as a big plate makes meals look smaller. The bigger your plate, the bigger will be your meals. So try and have smaller plates for your meals, hence you can control your portion sizes. In a weight loss journey what is important is to choose correct food and have it in proper amounts.
- Add on the fiber– Fiber coming from whole grains, vegetables, fruits, etc. add on the bulk of the food eaten. Hence it gives more satiety. Eating high fiber foods during a weight loss journey has been shown to help in reducing the weight. You can increase fiber content in your meals simply by adding whole grain cereals in your breakfast and lunch like daliya, oats, various millets, whole wheat flour, likewise including soups and vegetables in meals. Have a bowl of salad for dinner.
- Increase your protein– While exercising on an empty stomach you lose your fat and to build muscles you need proteins after exercise. Increasing protein intake in the morning helps in avoiding any unhealthy snacks throughout the day. Increased protein intake is beneficial in weight loss. Having high protein breakfast or any small snacks helps in losing weight.
- Follow a balanced meal– Half of your plate must be filled with vegetables. A good amount of veggies, along with a quarter part of proteins and complex carbohydrates, is how the meal plate. When you follow these perfect portions it will be beneficial in sustaining your weight.
- Drink your water not the calorie drinks– Drinking rough water throughout the day is important to stay hydrated. It helps in maintaining your healthy weight, water helps in detoxifying your waste materials. Avoid any fruit juices, sports drinks, carbonated drinks that are high in sugars. Plain water or just an infused water with flavors is best for you.
- Avoid any fad diets– Diets focusing on only one particular food item. These diets are very restrictive and hard to maintain. Hence because of so much restriction, you will not get all essential nutrients. You will definitely lose some kgs by these fad diets but you will not be able to maintain it for a long time. Therefore, you will gain more weight once you stop fad diet and again start with your normal eating pattern.
- Regulate your meal timings– Weight loss happens when you eat meals on a particular meal time. Your body gets adapted to your lifestyle. So when you eat meals at regular intervals healthy weight sustains. Small and frequent meals rather than long gaps between major meals is what needed in a weight loss journey. Having small frequent meals along with high protein snacks is recommended.
- Say no to sugars and refined products– Refined products made with maida like biscuits, khari, cakes and pastry, etc and any sweets contain simple carbohydrates. These products are harmful for the body as they are just high in sugar and calories. All foods containing refined flour are very low in fiber, hence hazardous for health. They will just add on to calories without giving any beneficial nutrients. Hence must be avoided to lose your extra pounds.
- Healthy Fats– Choosing the correct oil and including it in the proper amount is important. Include a variety of oils while cooking. Do not stick to only one particular oil. At least change your oil every 15days. One oil does not contain all essential fats. Include nuts and oil seeds as in when you feel like munching on something. Healthy fats can actually help you to lose your weight. Most studies have shown that following a high fat diet which contains coconut oil, olive oil, avocados, and nuts helped people lose weight.
- Shop smart– Make a proper grocery list. When you note down before heading towards a shop you can make wise decisions for choosing healthy foods. Studies have shown that when you adapt a habit of making a food list you tend to make more healthier choices. Otherwise, you end up taking a lot of food items which are not actually needed and not healthy ones.
- Sleep and Rise fresh– When you have slept good and rise awake with a fresh mind your day spends well. For a good sleep you must eat your dinner before 2hrs of sleep timing. Sleep early and wake up early. It will reduce any late night cravings for sweets or snacks also. So if you want to lose your weight you must have 8hours of peaceful sleep. Research has shown that this helps to reduce your junk cravings.
- Get a workout buddy or Schedule a Workout date– Exercising alone makes most of us feel like a boring task. But what if your best friend or your partner is with you while working out? Sounds exciting right? Yes, studies also have shown that you stick with weight loss or any dieting pattern for a long time when you follow it with your buddy. So get started with workout with your friend.
- Snack smart & Avoid Munching– Snacking healthy food items is what makes the weight loss process easier. Because most of our unhealthy eating, munching on junk foods happens at snack time. An easy way to lose weight is to have healthy snack items at home. Readily available or easy to make snack items is a must-have while weight loss journey. Grab foods like puffed murmura, roasted chana, roasted peanuts, roasted nuts, cut up veggies with hummus, etc. as an evening snack.
- Avoid any distractions while eating– Eat your food on a dining table with your loved ones. Avoid watching TV, reading any book, or using your cell-phone while eating. When you watch or read while eating a meal you tend to eat more portions which are actually not required for your body. Hence you consume more calories and put on weight.
- Sweet cravings solution– Whenever you feel like eating sweets choose foods containing natural sugar. First of all, you should avoid eating any sweets. But in case you are having sweet cravings opt for dry fruits, dark chocolate, or just a whole fruit with the skin. Replace flavored yogurt for ice cream. Even if you choose these items it must be taken in a restrictive amount only.
- Go for a walk– Go for a walk with someone. 45mins walking daily has been shown in reducing weight. Walking out in the morning will give enough of vitamin D and also help in reducing weight. Whenever you try to indulge in any vigorous activity many times you follow it just for a few weeks and then stop. But walking, jogging or a brisk walk is what you can continue for years.
- Say no to processed sauces and jams– Instead of jams and sauces which contain many preservatives always go for fresh chutneys or any dry chutneys. Avoid any processed sauces. Adding these increases salt content in your diet which is not at all good for health.
- Eat only 80%– Always eat only till you are 80% full. Never eat to the fullest. Whenever taking food while dining out or at home take only smaller portions at a time. If you wish to empty your plate, then you must take smaller portions at a time or else just pack any extra food which is remaining.
- Avoid sipping Coffee/Tea– While working at office or now like in a work from home situation we tend to drink many cups of coffee/tea. Sipping many cups of tea/coffee with sugar throughout the day adds ons the calories hence you put on the weight. You must replace this with Green tea, black tea or coffee, lemonade without sugar, any homemade sharbat without sugar, coconut water, etc.
- Salt cravings– Avoid any chips or namkeens. Always go for healthy snacks if you are getting salt cravings. Choose snacks items which are not fried but baked or puffed. Add some chat masala or black pepper powder for seasoning. Choose food items like makhana, plain or methi khakhra, puffed cereals dry bhel with veggies, etc.
While following any particular diet or exercise regime you must choose healthy meals.
Surround yourself with good friends and family members while completing your weight loss journey. It will help you to sustain your weight and achieve further goals.
Any goal is achieved when you work for it with all of your capabilities. Be active, follow your exercise regime properly. Remember, exercise and diet must be followed with equal importance. Because a single strategy will not work. Exercise and nutrition go hand in hand.
Follow these tips to reach your goal.