The Vata Dosha is called ‘The King of the Doshas’, as it is the main dosha of the tridosha theory. If you imagine a cool, dry, windy fall day, then it can be said as a Vata prominent day. It has effects on various functions and features of our body too, and can be more understood through it constituents.
VATA DOSHA CONSTITUENTS
The element Air and Ether (or Space) of the universe is represented by Vata dosha. The pitta and kapha dosha cannot function without it as they are not self propelled. It means that to complete their work in our body, they cannot move from one place to another. They need a carrier to do that, and Vata acts as that carrier. Vata travels all around our body. Hence vata dosha has speed as its emblem. All the movements of our body are thus inspired by vata.
The tridosha theory of ayurveda says that the three doshas are equally distributed in the body. Although vata continuously moves around our body, it resides in a few positions. They are Intestines, lower back, bones, Thigh region, Skin, ear and our complete lower body.
They combine and run all the work in our body. These three doshas have their own properties.
Properties of Vata dosha:
Work of vata in our body:
- The controlling of All the natural works of the body
- The development of foetus during pregnancy. The development depends on the balance and imbalance of this dosha. The imbalance can lead to various genetic disorders.
- Speech, heart sounds, respirational sounds, peristaltic sounds.
- Hearing, respiration.
- The control on the digestive system.
- Maintains the fluid in the body.
- Removes the waste material and toxins in our body, in the form of urine and feces.
- Keep a check on the nervous system.
- Delivers nutrients to all the muscles of our body.
- Walking, running and all kinds of dynamic movements in our body.
Symptoms of imbalance of Vata Dosha
- Dry skin, hair, ears, lips, joints, cracked heels and hands
- Bloating, gas, constipation or dry hard stools
- Dehydration and weight loss
- Imbalance of mind – restlessness, dizziness, delusion, anxiety, nervousness, panic, fear agitation or feeling of emptiness
- Body fluid troubles like poor circulation, muscle spasm or constriction, asthma, pain and aches, tightness
- Excessive movement such as Irrelevant or too much talking, fidgeting, tremors or muscle twitching.
- Light interrupted sleep or sleeplessness, increase in thoughts and worries, lack of strength, Ptosis.
How to manage Vata Dosha Imbalance
Through Vata Diet.
- Avoid Dry and light ,cold, raw and processed foods
- Avoid Caffeine, nicotine, Hard alcohol and other stimulants.
- Increase sweet, sour, salty, warm, cooked whole foods.
- Include vegetables and fruits such as pumpkin, sweet potato, beets, carrots, brussel sprouts, avocados, dates, figs, lemons and papayas.
- Avoid overeating or eating very heavy meals.
- Spices such as black pepper, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin, fennel, ginger, turmeric and saffron help in balancing vata.
- Adding ghee in your diet can also help
Maintain a daily routine.
- Get proper sleep. Lack of sleep is one of the major reasons for Vata imbalance. So, schedule your sleep at the right time, usually between 10p.m to 5 a.m.
- Routine times for your meals, and eat in a peaceful environment.
- Keep a time-table for everything. A proper routine helps in soothing the imbalanced Vata.
- Add meditation to your routine. Doing meditation as the first thing in the morning is the most beneficial way in calming Vata.
- Excessive exercise can trouble vata. Prefer simple and easy exercises.
- Don’t exercise for long hours. Listen to your body. Do not push it limits.
- Yoga is the best option. It is calm and gentle and helps your mind to concentrate.
Hydrate your Body
- As vata is extremely drying, it is important to hydrate our body as many times as possible.
- Drink warm water. Wam water calms down the excess Vata as compared to cold water.
- Oils such as sesame, almond or avocado oil are beneficial in pacifying vata.
- Massaging your body with vata-calming oils(sesame or almond) for around 20 minutes a day can also help.